The joys of eating out

To start with, I will give you a bit of background. I struggle a lot with my eating. The closest I get to a cooked meal every day is my morning toast. 

We know this can’t go on long term and my parents are helping me to try sort this out. For example, they gave me baby sized portion of Sunday dinner. 


Knowing all this you can imagine how hard I find it to eat out. I would rather go hungry than have a panic attack. I’m also really fussy with what I eat because I don’t like it when food leaves a taste in my mouth.


Now to the point of today’s post. If you are a waiter and someone only wants just a starter or to order a kid’s meal, please don’t look at them funny. It has taken a lot of bravery for me to get there. Chances are, I also haven’t eaten all day so I can eat in the restaurant.

My worst experience was when I was in Frankie and Benny’s in Birstall (yes, I’m naming and shaming here because it was terrible) in a group of 12 people and I was told that if I didn’t order a main I was going to have to leave and wait for everyone outside! I was devastated I was sat there trying to not cry while this middle-aged waiter just stood and stared at me. I gave in and ordered a starter that I didn’t want and then he forgot it. He hadn’t even put it on the order. After all that I sat there the whole meal unable to talk or make eye contact with anyone. I was so embarrassed. I would fully understand if I was sat alone at a table sipping tap water, but I was in a large group taking up no extra space.


Secondly if you’re out with someone that you know struggles with food don’t ask them if they’re hungry because yes, they probably are but I still won’t eat.

I would also like to make it more acceptable for me to be able to ask to try your food. It’s been a long time since I’ve eaten. I don’t remember what food I like and don’t like anymore, and I’m curious. I understand that’s a big ask so I won’t push that one.

So overall today we have learnt to just let me do my own thing when it comes to food and please don’t look at me funny or ask me if I’m hungry.

Comments