Great British Bake Off Final

As I wrote a post on the first episode of Great British Bake Off, it only seems right that I now write one about the final.

WARNING: there will be spoilers!

The full way through the show I wanted either Briony or Rahul to win. Rahul pretty much had the full nation behind him because he is so sweet and innocent and when he said he bakes to make friends I cried. I liked Briony because she was so nice she was like the mum of the team. You could tell she loved it.


But coming in to the finale the person I wanted to win changed. I wanted Kim Joy to win. She just slowly grew on me and her bakes are so cute. When she broke down last week and she was done, it just broke my heart.

My decision has changed from Rahul because although I still think he’s adorable, his self-doubt and apologising just got a tiny bit too much.

The signature challenge was donuts, 6 filled and 6 ringed. The all look ridiculously good but my favourite one was Kim Joys, her lemon bee glazed donuts sound lovely. Who cares if they were inconsistent colours Paul!

The technical was interesting and unexpected. I did kind of want Rahul’s pepper to explode on the camp fire just because I’ve never seen that happen before. There wasn’t a favourite pitta in this challenge as there where all equally burnt.


And then finally a giant landscape show stopper. As soon as they said Rahul was making 200 individual pieces I was like “noooo don’t do it Rahul that’s too big!” And then just to add to the tension his glass jar exploded in the heat. I suppose that’s what happens when you wish for things to explode.... sorry!

Even after all the drama my favourite landscape was Rahul’s rock garden landscape. Chocolate and orange cake what more do you need? And who cares about the sludge pond, it just looked incredible.

I definitely think that Rahul’s landscape pushed him over to the win because it was such a close final. I will admit he wasn’t my first choice at the end but I’m still so happy for him, he definitely did deserve it. His bakes every week were so well put together and he did get the most handshakes. He might finally start believing in himself.


And that’s it - we are done with Great British Bake Off for another year and I won’t lie I welled up at the little clips at the end. Congratulations to Jon for becoming a grandad!!!





Comments